Fri, 30 Dec 2016 16:37:47 +0000
I am wondering …
I am wondering how many years it is going to take me to stop expecting snow below 2000m in December. This has now been the third year in a row with basically zero snow until christmas up to the top of the mountains around here. (And this year it is not going to change anymore, there might be a tiny bit of snow on January 3, but not enough to ride a board on.) I should have grown accustomed to it, but I have not managed yet, it still feels like a let-down.
Sun, 17 Apr 2016 13:46:48 +0000
balance sheet snowboarding season 2015/16
A very weak season, mainly due to two reasons:
- weather: It was just too warm. Pre-season in November things looked hopeful with early snow, but December 2015 was absurdely warm. According to the weather station Damüls Hertehof (1580m above sea level) there were only three days in December when temperatures fell below 0° Celsius. I had my first snow day on December 6 followed by 3 more days in December (12, 19 and 20) with continuously worsening conditions. I gave it another chance on January 6th, but things had not improved and I paused until January 21, which was the first good day.
- On February 7th 2016 I had a small accident at luging, resulting in a (partially) torn ligament at my left ankle joint. Joy. No snowboarding until March 13. My season ended on April 10, when Warth/Schröcken closed.
Here is the balance sheet:
|number of (partial) days||25||17||29||37||30||30||25||23||30||24||17|
|total meters of altitude||124634||74096||219936||226774||202089||203918||228588||203562||274706||224909||138037|
|# of runs||309||189||503||551||462||449||516||468||597||530||354|
Mon, 28 Mar 2016 16:24:53 +0000
exim4 stable update - testing requested
I have prepared an update for exim4, targeted at stable and would appreciate some testing / second eyes.
- Improve on NEWS file, identical to the respective change in sid.
- Cherrypick Cutthrough: Fix bug with dot-only line
- Cherrypick Expansions: Fix crash in crypteq: On OpenBSD a bad second-arg results in an error-return from crypt(). Errorcheck that return. to fix #812585.
Please send your feedback to ametzler(at)debian.org or exim4(at)packages.debian.org.
Sun, 13 Mar 2016 18:10:34 +0000
How to put on one's hardboots, when ligaments are damaged
I have finally managed to do (a little bit of) snowboarding again this weekend. Previously I had failed early, when trying to pull on my hard-boots. I had (partially) torn some ligament in the ankle joint in February and am generally fine now, but exactly this movement still caused pain.
What worked was to
- take the liner out of the boot,
- pull on the liner,
- step into the outer shell.
Sat, 28 Nov 2015 18:36:45 +0000
Dual boot Debian (stretch) and Windows 10 (UEFI)
I have just assembled and upgraded to a new computer (ct 11 Watt PC with Skylake i5-6500) and chose to go from BIOS/MBR to UEFI/GPT. The computer needs to also run Windows (in this case 10) and so I had googled in vain before for a matching dual-boot howto.
It turned out to be unnecessary, it is straightforward.
- Install Windows and leave some space for Linux. (I used rufus to build a UEFI USB install image).
- Install Debian. Stretch-Alpha4 di just worked and adds a entry for Windows to the grub menu
- Reboot and enter UEFI setup, and select the Debian installation as boot option.
Sat, 2 May 2015 17:15:59 +0000
balance sheet snowboarding season 2014/15
A very late start into the season, with a nice ending.
We had about zero snow until after christmas, and not just down in the valley, but also at 2000m in the mountains. My first run was therefore very late, on January 1st, followed by two short excursions (8:45 - 11:20) due to too many people on January 5th and 6th.
After that we had more than enough snow which allowed me to go to Diedamskopf most of the time (basically only natural snow there, which makes better slopes). I went there almost exclusively until they closed on Easter sunday after heavy snowfall in Holy week, and had 5 more days therafter In Damül;s and Warth/Schröcken. Last run was on April 19.
Here is the balance sheet:
|number of (partial) days||25||17||29||37||30||30||25||23||30||24|
|total meters of altitude||124634||74096||219936||226774||202089||203918||228588||203562||274706||224909|
|# of runs||309||189||503||551||462||449||516||468||597||530|
What does not show up here is the number of times I walked (with and without snowshoes) up the mountain and used the lift down and obviously also tobogganing.
Sun, 18 Jan 2015 15:35:40 +0000
Another new toy
It is a rather sporty rodel (Torggler TS 120 Tourenrodel Spezial 2014/15, 9kg weight, with fast (non stainless) "racing rails" and 22° angle of the runners) but not a competition model. I wish I had bought this years ago. It is a lot more comfortable than a classic sled ("Davoser Schlitten"), since one is sitting in instead of on top of the sled somehow like in a hammock. Being able to steer without putting a foot into the snow has the nice side effect that the snow stays on the ground instead of ending up in my face. Obviously it is also faster which is a huge improvement even for recreational riding, since it makes the difference between riding the sledge or pulling it on flattish stretches. Strongly recommended.
FWIW I ordered this via rodelfuehrer.de (they started with a guidebook of luge tracks, which translates to "Rodelführer"), where I would happily order again.
Sat, 1 Nov 2014 17:40:01 +0000
GnuTLS 3 and libgcrypt transitions finished
With today's removals of gnutls26 and libgcrypt11 from jessie the respective transitions have been finished. Thanks to everybody who help accomplishing this, package maintainers and the release team, with a special thanks to Emilio.
It started from a bad position: Since 2011 we had co-installable gnutls26
and gnutls28 in Debian with separate (and conflicting) development
packages. Simply providing libgnutls-dev from gnutls28 was not possible
because there are some incompatibilities and because we had
So we ended up gradually switching packages over by sourceful
Looking back, this worked both well and badly: On one hand it played nicely with testing migration. It did not break a lot of important packages at a single time or block packages from migration to testing. On the other hand over a 100 sourceful uploads are a lot, and the transition took a long time.
Sun, 17 Aug 2014 06:03:29 +0000
The GnuTLS28 transition is making progress, more than 60% done:
Thanks to a national holiday combined with rainy weather this should look
even better soon:
ametzler@argenau:~$ w3m -dump https://ftp-master.debian.org/deferred.html | grep changes | wc -l
ametzler@argenau:~$ w3m -dump https://ftp-master.debian.org/deferred.html | grep Metzler | wc -l